Making schedules, tracking your employees’ hours, managing payroll — they can be massive constraints on your time. Your management or HR teams don’t want to be spending all their time on these simple tasks, but for many businesses, it seems like that’s what happens.
There’s a simple answer — time and attendance software. It would help you eliminate all the hassles and manual errors that can cost you money and time.
Before we check the list of tools, let’s look at the features that you should be looking for in an ideal time and attendance system management software.
What Are the Features of Time and Attendance Software
Modern time and attendance software offer a wide range of features designed to help you optimize your business operations. Each piece of software will have a slightly different approach to these features, so it’s important you understand your business needs and find the provider that excels in the features you need most.
- Clocking in and out: The most basic function of time and attendance software is tracking your employees’ hours through clock-ins. Modern software should make this process simple and adaptable.
- Shift Scheduling: If your business runs on shift work, then it can be extremely time-consuming to produce weekly schedules. Time and attendance software offers smart tools to make this process more efficient.
- Absence Management: Keep track of the days your staff are unavailable, manage PTO, and track absences. Use these insights to make scheduling easier, ensuring more accurate schedules, and a better experience for your employees.
- Payroll: Track your employees’ hours using the automated time clocks, edit timesheets through the platform, and effortlessly sync them to your payroll.
- Mobile and GPS Tracking: Enable your employees to clock in through their mobile devices. GPS tracking and geofencing means you can see where your employees check-in from, giving you more accurate data for your timesheets.
- Reporting: Turn all your data into actionable insights that will help you create better schedules and improve your processes. Data can help make your business more efficient, but you need the right reporting to help you do this.
Different software will have a different mix of features, but most have some variation of the above options. The important thing is that the software you choose brings these features together in an effective, but simple-to-use interface.
Make sure you choose a package where you’re getting the features you need without paying for the features you don’t need.
Without any further ado let’s look at the 15 best options available on the market today.
The Best Time and Attendance Software
ZoomShift is known for being the best time and attendance software for small and medium businesses.
Its interface is extremely simple and easy to use, and it offers powerful tools to help you create highly efficient schedules. The drag and drop system makes editing schedules effortless, and its intelligent template system means you can duplicate shifts and schedules with the click of a button.
It might all start with good scheduling, but ZoomShift does far more than just helping you plan your weeks. With automated shift reminders, built-in team communication, and simple integration with your payroll, it simplifies many time-consuming processes.
How ZoomShift’s Time and Attendance Software Increases Employee Accountability
- Create Work Schedules Faster: The drag and drop builder means you can create schedules in seconds. Save shifts and schedules as templates to use in the future, and easily see staff availability. ZoomShift gives you all the information you need to make great schedules in just a few clicks.
- GPS Tracking: See where and when your employees clock in with GPS tracking. This helps eliminate errors and ensures more accurate timesheets.
- Easy Timesheet Editing: Quickly access and edit timesheets to eliminate errors and ensure staff are properly compensated for the work they do.
- Run Payroll Faster: Easy integration with your payroll provider means your timesheets can be quickly processed for payment.
- Paid Time Off: Keep track of paid time off as you go. ZoomShift makes it easy to assign paid time off hours and allows employees to see how much PTO they have available.
- Everything In One Place: Schedule, track hours, edit timesheets, and communicate with your team all in one place.
- Free trial of 14 days.
- Starter plan is $2 per user/month.
- Premium Plan is $4 per user/month
- Enterprise plan is custom per user/month.
Homebase is a good scheduling option for small businesses.
Built with businesses that use shift work in mind, it makes life easy for both managers and workers. The scheduling software makes it easy to create concise schedules, eliminating the need for paper and spreadsheets by syncing with payroll.
With a range of pricing options to choose from, it allows small businesses to benefit from the features they need, without having to pay extra for the bits they don’t need.
- Scheduling: Quickly create and share simple, yet effective schedules that keep everybody on the same page.
- Time Clock: Turn any device into a time clock, making it easy for your employees to log their hours.
- Timesheets: Create timesheets in seconds, ready for you to edit and send on to payroll.
- Payroll: Homebase syncs with your payroll meaning there’s one less thing for you to take care of.
- Communication: Centralize your communication to make your team more efficient.
- Free Basic Plan
- Essential Plan – $14 per month per location
- Plus Plan – $35 per month per location
- All in One Plan – $70 per month per location
3. On The Clock
Ontheclock offers good time and attendance software for businesses with a lot of remote workers or in-house employees.
It’s simple timeclock is easy to set up, just create an account, add your employees, and you’re ready to go. Your employees clock in, and then this automatically syncs to your time cards.
- Mobile and Online: Enable your employees to clock in online and through their mobile devices.
- GPS Tracking: See when and where your employees clock in from. This helps verify the authenticity of their hours.
- Paid Time Off: Manage and track how many PTO hours your employees earn.
- Payroll Reporting: Get a clear picture of your payroll expenses. Use insights to help you optimize your schedules and payroll.
- Free trial for 30 days
- Pricing based on number of employees
ClockShark is considered to be the best time and attendance software for construction and field service companies.
It offers wide-ranging capabilities for these companies including scheduling software, paperless job management tools, and online clock in.
- Time Tracking On the Go: Employees can clock in on the go to maximize efficiency.
- Paperless Job Management: Get key information on jobs through the software.
- Team and Employee Scheduling: Manage your team with easy scheduling.
- Quotes, Invoices, and Payments: Create quotes and invoices on the fly to make sure you get paid on time.
- Basic Plan – $ 3/month per user +$15/month base fee
- Standard Plan – $ 6/month per user +$25/month base fee
- Pro Plan – $ 8/month per user +$45/month base fee
5. Time Doctor
Time Doctor provides productivity software that can benefit businesses of all sizes in all industries. Automatic time tracking lets you understand exactly how your team uses its time and spot areas where it can become more efficient.
This is designed to help your employees improve their performance while fostering freedom and flexibility.
- Time Tracking: Daily tracking of how your staff use their time.
- Web & App Usage: See what websites and applications your staff are using.
- Payroll: Automatically process payroll and billing.
- Reports: Use detailed reports to help your employees improve their performance and make your business more efficient.
- Free trial of 14 days
- Basic plan is $7 per user per month
- Standard plan is $10 per user per month
- Premium plan is $20 per user per month
6. All Hours
All Hours offers a flexible solution for all types of businesses. It aims to give you a more accurate way of tracking employee time and attendance by simplifying payroll, minimizing compliance risks, and raising productivity.
With payroll data, automated clock in, and leave management, it’s a simple, flexible option.
- Time Clock: Simple clock in with card, badge, and biometric options.
- Absence Management: Manage absence requests, and receive notifications for requests and approvals
- Real-Time Presence: See who is on-premises, working from home, or absent. Highlight late arrivals and early departures.
- Payroll: Easily export vital data to your payroll.
- Pricing is based on number of employees
TimeRack offers time and attendance and HR administration services for small businesses.
Its integrated solutions help businesses organize their employees, streamline payroll, and automate time-consuming processes. This helps small businesses save on costs, optimize operations, and improve employee engagement.
- Time Tracking: All in one time-tracking solution including on the move geofencing.
- Human Resources: Applicant tracking, employee onboarding, and benefits management.
- Payroll Integrations: Send employee time and attendance data straight to payroll.
- Improve Employee Engagement: Provide a seamless experience throughout your business.
- Contact for pricing
ClockIt offers simple, robust scheduling for small businesses.
With flexible pricing, it allows you to select the features you want without having to pay for the features you don’t need. Its artificial intelligence helps make scheduling easier, ensuring you maximize your budget through efficient schedules.
- Time Attendance: Enable your employees to clock in efficiently through their mobile devices.
- Time Tracker: Track the work your employees do while they’re clocked in.
- Notifications: Automate notifications for more efficient communication.
- Shift Planning and Scheduling: Quickly create schedules and assign shifts to your employees.
- Free trial of 14 days
- XS plan is $29 per month for up to 10 users
- S plan is $49 per month for up to 20 users
- M plan is $99 per month for up to 50 users
- L plan is $199 per month for up to 100 users
Deputy is a time tracking solution for small businesses.
With a simple drag and drop system, it allows you to create accurate schedules without the hassle. Link with leading payroll, POS, and HR systems for quick integration and optimized time management.
- Scheduling: Create schedules in minutes and easily share them with your team.
- Time Tracking: Automatically create timesheets for editing before sending them to payroll.
- Time Clock: Make clock-ins easy for your employees.
- Labor Compliance: Smart tools and guardrails to ensure you’re complying with labor laws.
- Mobile App: Do everything on the go with the simple-to-use mobile app.
- 31 day Free Trial
- Scheduling – $2.50 per user/month
- Time & Attendance – $2.50 per user/month
- Premium – $4.50 per user/month
- Enterprise – custom per user/month.
10. QuickBooks (formally TSheets)
QuickBooks is the easiest option for tracking all mobile workers. One of the world’s premier accounting software, it also offers solutions for time and attendance tracking.
A strong option for mobile workers such as construction workers, delivery drivers, landscapers, or home health care providers.
- Time Tracking: Enable employees to clock in and out with just one click.
- Team Management: Project management and geofencing technology help keep your employees in the loop.
- Scheduling: Quickly build employee schedules by jobs or shifts.
- Reports: Use detailed insights to inform your decision-making.
- 30-day free trial
- Simple start plan is $12.50 per month for 1 user
- Essentials plan is $25 per month for 1-3 users
- Plus plan is $40 per month for 1-5 users
- Advanced plan is $90 per month for 1-25 users
The UltiPro app allows management and employees to efficiently manage time and synchronize data. Employees can quickly access their HR and payment information, communicate with coworkers, and request time off.
This helps businesses to better manage their workforce and communicate with ease.
- Attendance Management: Track your employees’ hours, manage time-off requests, and keep track of PTO
- AI-Based Scheduling: Easy scheduling with recommendations based on AI.
- Collaborative Scheduling: Get input from your employees to make scheduling more efficient.
- Personalized Dashboard: Employees can view all their details through personalized dashboards.
- Contact for pricing
12. SageHR (formerly CakeHR)
SageHR is a complete HR solution that includes shift scheduling, timesheets, expenses, and leave management. Its strengths lie in attendance and performance management, helping businesses to become more efficient.
With SageHR, you can boost productivity through seamless onboarding, the ability to automate tasks, and high-level insights.
- Core HR: Employee records and HR essentials.
- Leave Management: Manage time-off requests with ease.
- Performance: Set goals, schedule meetings, and encourage feedback.
- Shift Scheduling: Simple tools to make shift scheduling easier.
- Pricing is based on the features you include and the number of employees you have
Jibble offers a free time clock to help you keep track of your teams.
Its mobile software turns any device into a time clock with location-based attendance and facial recognition. This makes it easy for managers to track their employees’ hours and manage payroll on the go.
- Facial Recognition: Make sure the right people are clocking in with facial recognition.
- GPS Time Tracking: See where your employees are clocking in from.
- Automated Timesheets: Automated timesheets ready to sync with payroll.
- Dashboards and Alerts: Manage your workforce with live data and automated alerts.
- Free plan offers basic features
- Contact for more details
DeskTime is an excellent option for businesses that work with freelancers. The desktop and mobile app ensures efficient time tracking, attendance tracking, and workflow management.
DeskTime claims to boost efficiency by 30%, minimize losses, and help businesses become more organized.
- Automatic Time Tracking: See how employees and freelancers are using their time to help them become more efficient.
- Cost Calculation: Provide accurate project cost calculations
- Shift Scheduling: Quickly create and edit schedules for your employees.
- URL & App Tracking: See what URLs and apps your employees are accessing.
- Lite plan is free for 1 user
- Pro plan is $4.20 per month per user
- Premium plan is $5.46 per month per user
- Enterprise plan is $8.40 per month per user
TimeClick is one of the best options for on-site locations. This simple system helps make time tracking, time off, and payroll easy for businesses of all sizes.
Bring everything online with time clocks, time tracking, and payroll sync to take the hassle out of organizing your workforce.
- Time Clock Software: Make it easy for your employees to clock in and out of work.
- Time Tracking: Get quick, easy time calculations.
- Department and Job Tracking: Delegate responsibility to department leaders.
- Timesheets: Quickly access and edit timesheets before syncing them with payroll.
- Prime plan is a $199 one-off purchase for 1 computer
- Premium plan is a $399 one-off purchase for up to 5 devices
- Plus plan is a $499 one-off purchase for up to 10 devices
- Platinum plan is a $649 one-off purchase for up to 25 devices
The Benefits of Time and Attendance Software
Choosing the right time and attendance software is an important step because it can offer your business some impressive benefits.
- Receive real-time reporting: See how your workforce is being deployed in real-time. Get notifications when your employees clock in, see where they clock in from, and manage your workforce in much more detail. This helps you to maximize efficiency and make better schedules in the future.
- Accurate time tracking: Make sure your employees get paid for the work they do, without worrying about errors. Geofencing and other features ensure time is used much more efficiently and time tracking is more accurate. Accurate time tracking gives you certainty over your payroll costs.
- Increased Productivity: Time tracking can identify ways to improve your operations and help your employees become more efficient. Understand exactly how your employees use their time and use the insights to help them improve their performance.
- Improve staff morale: Make it easy for your employees to track their hours, access schedules, and manage PTO. Uncertainty is a huge source of frustration, when you give your employees easy access to information, it helps to improve staff morale.
- Cost Reduction – Ensure you have the right people working at the right time so that you’re not overspending on labor. Eliminate costly payroll errors that leave you out of pocket. Time and attendance software links directly to your payroll, so it’s one less thing you have to worry about.
- Legal Compliance: Effortlessly ensure you’re complying with your legal obligations. Laws are constantly changing, and you have to keep up with your responsibilities. Good time and attendance software can help you do this, ensuring you stay compliant.